Can You Freeze Egg Rolls? (How to Freeze Egg Rolls)
If you’ve ever found yourself with an abundance of egg rolls and no idea what to do with them, you’re in luck! This blog post will teach you how to freeze egg rolls properly so that they stay fresh and delicious.
Egg roll freezing is a great way to have a quick and easy meal on hand for those busy weeknights. Let’s get started!
We will cover
- Can you freeze egg rolls
- How to freeze frozen and fresh egg rolls
- How to reheat a frozen egg roll
- And whether you can microwave a frozen egg roll (please… do not do this)
Egg Roll Life
Egg rolls are one of the most popular Chinese food dishes, particularly in the US and UK. They’re usually made with a variety of meats, vegetables, and spices, and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a main course.
While they’re generally considered to be a fairly easy dish to make, some people may find them a little daunting due to the folding process.
So Can You Freeze Egg Rolls?
Yes, you can freeze egg rolls! In fact, freezing them is the best way to preserve them. Egg rolls can be frozen either cooked or uncooked. If you choose to freeze them cooked, make sure that they are completely cooled before sealing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
If you choose to freeze them uncooked, make sure that they are well sealed and placed in a freezer bag or container.
When you’re ready to eat them, simply remove them from the freezer and cook them according to your desired method (either in the oven, on the stovetop, or in the microwave).
Do You Freeze Egg Rolls Cooked or Uncooked?
It is fine to freeze egg rolls either cooked or uncooked. If you decide to cook them beforehand, be sure that they are totally cold before sealing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
If you have literally just cooked the egg rolls, give them at least an hour to cool down before freezing. This will help ensure that they stay fresh and delicious.
If you want to preserve them uncooked, be sure they are well sealed and placed in a freezer bag or container.
To Freeze Cooked Egg Rolls
- As mentioned above – you need them to cool down to room temperature first. At least an hour after cooking. You will get a bad result if you freeze warm or hot egg rolls.
- We need to eliminate as much oxygen as possible and snugly trap the moisture in the egg roll. Wrap each egg roll rightly in cling film/plastic warp.
- Place the wrapped egg rolls in a large freezer bag and then into the freezer.
You can reheat egg rolls in the oven, or by lightly refrying them. You can do this straight from frozen (no need to thaw).
The oven is the most predictable way to get a crispy result without the egg roll splitting or bursting.
Microwaving a frozen egg roll is not a good idea, it is likely to make a mess and taste bad.
To Freeze Uncooked Egg Rolls
- Flash freeze the uncooked rolls on a tray. Space them so they are not touching then into the freezer for at least one hour.
- Now they are frozen, they should not stick together.
- You could use corn starch/tapioca to dust and separate them in hurry – but I do not recommend this. This adds an extra element that can cook differently when you heat them later.
- Now make the frozen rolls airtight – use plastic warp and get rid of all oxygen that could make them go bad in the freezer
- Transfer them to freezer bads – and you are sorted
How Do You Reheat Frozen egg Rolls?
To reheat a frozen cooked egg roll
- Hear the frozen egg roll in the oven for a consistent result
- You can refry a cooked egg roll from frozen also
- Microwaving is generally a very bad idea
To reheat a frozen uncooked egg roll
- Deep fry straight away from frozen! Easy.
- You can air fry following your normal recipe but start on a medium heat setting them ramp it up
How Long do Frozen Egg Rolls Last in the Freezer?
A frozen egg roll that has been sealed from oxygen should last 6 months in the freezer.
- If there is a defrost event, your egg rolls need to be binned
- Both cooked and uncooked egg rolls last a long time in the freezer
Can I Microwave a Frozen Egg Roll?
You can microwave a frozen egg roll, but it is generally a very bad idea. It will not taste well, and can disintegrate during heating. Pretty much all other methods of reheated an egg roll are better,
My Frozen Egg Roll Takeaways
- Yes you can freeze egg rolls
- You can freeze fresh or cooked egg rolls
- Reheated is easy
Frozen egg rolls can last in the freezer for up to six months, and can be reheated using a variety of methods. The most reliable way to heat them is in the oven, but you can also fry or air-fry them from frozen. If you choose to microwave them, be prepared for them to not taste great and possibly burst open.