Chances are, you have eaten Chinese takeout at least once in your life. From chicken fried rice to lo mein, it is delicious and perfect for when you are starving but can’t cook up a storm in the kitchen. One question many people have about Chinese food is how long does it last in the fridge?
To look at how long does Chinese food last in the fridge, let’s break things down by type of dish. One component of how long does Chinese food lasts in the fridge is the solidity of each type of dish at room temperature. Some dishes like lo mein will turn hard if left out on the counter for too long while dishes like fried rice will stay good on the counter for a few days. In general, Chinese food will go bad after 3-4 days in the fridge.
The storage life of food depends on several factors including the original quality of the product, how well the package is sealed and how temperature-sensitive the item is. Packages that are over-or under-filled can also affect how long an item will stay fresh. Once opened, how long does Chinese food last in the fridge?
Using an opened package of steamed vegetables as an example, these items are generally considered to have a shelf life of seven days or less. Some sources indicate up to ten days under ideal storage conditions. The U.S. Department of Agriculture considers any leftovers from a meal containing meat, fish, or poultry unsafe for consumption because they could potentially harbor bacteria that multiply rapidly.
Chinese food typically includes rice, vegetables, and meat. Other common ingredients include noodles, soy sauce, and sugar.
How Long Does Chinese Food Last In The Fridge?
- Rice is a solid foundation for how long things last in the fridge. It absorbs liquid well yet doesn’t have a high potential for spoiling after being cooked. Refrigerated rice can be reheated and will still not be as dry as overcooked baked chicken.
- Lo mein should stay good for several days if left out on the counter. This is because strong components of lo mein such as spaghetti-like noodles and garlic keep noodles fresh longer than other fried dishes made with these ingredients.
- Stir fry dishes are great ingredients for determining how Chinese food goes bad quickly. They are typically cooked from food fresh natural juices. Compared to how long does Chinese takeout last, stir-fries will generally stay good for a shorter period.
- Items with a lot of vegetables and little sauce how long do noodles last in the fridge can spoil fast how to make Chinese food go bad. For example, how much water is present in your Chinese food? The more water available, the faster how long do cream cheese slices last will spoil–pretty straightforward!
- Fried rice should be okay on the counter for a few days. Jasmine rice can sit for a much longer period if it’s raw. The less water available, the longer the Chinese food stays fresh.
- How long do noodles last depends on how hot they are when put into the fridge. The hotter something is, the more how long do fried rice lasts will spoil rapidly. Lo mein should be eaten soon after being refrigerated.
History of Chinese food
The cuisine of China can be translated as “the food of the Han people” or “Han Guo Cai”. In ancient times the Chinese only ate the kind of food they raised themselves such as wheat, potatoes, millet, and some vegetables. In addition to pork, beef, and mutton they also kept chicken, duck, goose as their farm animals for meat purposes. They got their chicken’s eggs, which were used for cooking. They did not eat fish because at that time fishing was not well-developed yet. It was considered a low-class occupation compared with farming. They kept some bees, bred silkworms, and caught birds for their purpose of entertainment or decoration.
Chinese food has many variations in how it is prepared based on the region of China it originated from. Food in northern China is usually wheat-based while southern Chinese food has rice as its staple grain. The use of seafood is also more prevalent in southern China, where people live near bodies of water that supply them with fresh fish and shellfish.
Many people stop by their favorite Chinese restaurant to pick up takeout when they don’t feel like cooking dinner at home.
What are the most widely used Chinese spices?
Chinese food uses lots of different spices depending on what part of China you are in. Some of the most common include ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil. If you plan on cooking your Chinese food at home, it would be a good idea to have these items in your pantry before starting.
How long do Chinese leftovers food last?
If you’re wondering how long to keep Chinese leftovers, the answer is around 3-4 days. You can store it in a refrigerator and eat it as lunch or dinner after heating the food for 1-2 minutes.
Chinese food is typically stored in the refrigerator. If you plan to freeze your Chinese food, do so as soon as possible for the best results.
If your Chinese meal includes fresh ingredients that have not been cooked or fried, then they will typically last up to three days under refrigerated conditions. Some meals with rice may also last around two days. For example, if the rice is added toward the end of prepare time (or after) and is used more of a “topping” rather than an internal component of the dish. Rice does not typically take part in stir-fried vegetables. Such a meal would typically last two days.
Chopped meat with vegetables, stir-fried meats, and dishes that include fried rice or noodles will typically last around five to eight days if they are not frozen. When the Chinese food is placed in a plastic container with a lid, it can be stored for up to three months. However, this means you should only use the container once. Keep a new container on hand, as bacteria can breed even when it’s still sealed.